I am Araceli Tzigane. Welcome to Mapamundi Música’s April’s monthly newsletter. A good part of the world is celebrating today. I hope you are having a great Easter or a superb Pesach.
For me, this is the week before travelling abroad for half of the next month, to Poland and to Canada. Learn below where to find me in those locations.
If you have any suggestion of contents for the next editions, let us know. Thanks for your attention.
Summary: Mini interview with festival director: Ken Day from Urkult(Sweden) – Mapamundi Música introduces: Temas de música: Gamelán – Songlines Music Awards nominees – Find me in… – New (and still) open calls
**** Do you have a world music festival and you want to be included in our mini interviews? Contact us. **
CURRENT AND FUTURE CHALLENGES FOR FESTIVALS
MINI INTERVIEW WITH KEN DAY FROM URKULT
KD – Music that swings and moves people… Music for all ears!
KD – The local, international and environmental perspectives. To bring the world to a little village in the inland of northern Sweden!
MM – What are the most complicated or difficult issues to deal with in your festival?
KD – Finding places for all our guests (and artists) to stay safely and cleanly.
KD – Economy is always an issue. We are almost 100% ticket financed. We want to balance reasonable ticket proces with keeping the size at a manageable level, so that all our guests have a great experience.
KD – Meetings with friends, family and artists from all over the world.
MAPAMUNDI MÚSICA INTRODUCES…
Temas de música – Gamelán, by Juan Antonio Vázquez, for Radio Clásica – National Radio of Spain
During March, Juan Antonio Vázquez, my partner of Mundofonías, has been doing a radio show focused on Gamelan music. He has delved in this intriguing tradition, both in the most ancestral as in the most heterodox. It is in Spanish but the music is really worthy of it even if you don´t understand the speech. These are the 10 episodes:
2. Gamelán: Bali I
3. Gamelán: de Bali a Java
4. Gamelán: Java, de los palacios a la aldea
5. Gamelán y más: Lombok, Borneo, Filipinas e Indochina
7. Gamelán y más: músicas contemporáneas de Indonesia
8. Gamelán y más: de Débussy a Björk, occidentales fascinados
9. Gamelán: nuevas aportaciones para un arte vivo I
10. Gamelán: nuevas aportaciones para un arte vivo II
SONGLINES MUSIC AWARDS NOMINEES
- Best artist: Gaye Su Akyol, Fatoumara Diawara, Amira Kleir, Mariza.
- Best group: 47Soul, Afro Celt Sound System, Afrika Mammas, Monsieur Doumani.
- Africa & Middle East: 3MA, Gaye Su Akyol, Fatoumata Diawara, Angélique Kidjo.
- Americas: Orquesta Akokán, Bixiga 70, Mélissa Laveaux, Totó la Momposina.
- Asia & Pacific: Anandi Bhattacharya, Anda Union, Gurrumul, Small Island Big Song.
- Europe: Dreamers’ Circus, Mariza, Mercedes Peón, Sam Sweeney.
- Fusion: Ammar 808, BCUC, Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita, Don Kipper.
FIND ME IN…
I have the privilege of travelling much the next months. I share with you these dates that, by the way, are interesting events. Will we happen to meet? 🙂
- Poland. I travel with Vigüela to Zgorzelec, Poland, for a concert with Janusz Prusinowski Kompania on 1st May. I will be in the country until 6th May and also on 13th of May and available in Warsaw for professional meetings.
- Canadian Music Week. From 6th to 12th May I will be in Toronto for this meeting, thanks to Music Export Poland and in collaboration with Wodzirej PL.
- Murcia (Spain). On 23rd of May we bring to Spain for the first time to collaboration between Leat Sabbah (cello player of Gulaza) and Yaron Pe’er (player of Afghani rabab). It will be at the festival Murcia Tres Culturas.
- Madrid (Spain), 6th to 8th June. This is my city so it is where you can find me many times but these days it will host the meeting and showcases of Sol Madrid. Our proposal of the band Entavía has been selected for the showcases. Check more at the Mapamundi introduces… in March’s newsletter.
- Martigny, Switzerland. 13th to 16th June. Festival 5 Continents. I will attend the festival for the TWMC Festival Awards.
- More, in the following newsletters.
CALLS FOR APPLICATIONS
These professional fairs and festivals have applications open right now:
· Projects presentations at Fira Mediterrània de Manresa: application is open until 6th May. More info and application, here.
· Visa por Music, Rabat, Morocco. Apply here. Until 15th of May.
· Premio Andrea Parodi: the contest application is open until 31st May. The contest will take place in Cagliary from 8th to 10th November. More info and application, here.
WHO WE ARE AND SISTER PROJECTS
We also offer you our Mundofonías radio show, probably the leader about world music in Spanish language (on 46 stations in 17 countries). We produce the Transglobal World Music Chart with our partner Ángel Romero from WorldMusicCentral.com. And we lead also the Asociación para la Difusión de los Estilos.